Friday, December 6, 2013

Breaking Down Parent/Teacher Barriers

       To be perfectly honest, when it comes to teaching, parents make me a lot more nervous than students. As a coach, I've gotten a fair amount of experience cooperating and talking with parents, and it has been mostly positive. Its the two or three percent of parents who want things that simply don't make much sense that I'm worried about. This is in the realm of sports but is an example of a foundational disagreement I've had with a parent that couldn't be resolved with a compromise: I had a student who played for my basketball team who had suffered a concussion. As required by the school I coach for, I have taken extensive concussion training and protocol, and I knew that this student absolutely had to be cleared by a medical professional before I could even let him practice, never mind play in a game. However, this parent was vehement that the student get into the game, and stormed off with their child in tow in the middle of a game when I told them that it was not an option, and wasn't up for debate. I didn't see that student again.

        Overall, however, I think that once you make an obvious effort to connect with parents, the relationships that ensue are 99% positive. As Principal J said, teaching is not a job, it's a lifestyle, which means that you need to develop a communal relationship with parents, students and teachers alike. Serving as a guide to the Annenberg protocol yesterday for the parents went a long way for me to demystify the aura of parents as some sort of roadblock to the student's success. Parents just want their children to get the best possible education, just like you do. It was also rewarding to hear what these particular parents wanted in an ideal teacher, because while their opinions were different, they were also very similar. Inclusion, excellent lessons, and a drive to develop great relationships with every child is at the top of their lists, as I'm sure it is for most parents. I also think a good idea to develop better relationships with parents and students would be to set a time every week where you go to a local coffee shop or something and let parents and students know that if they want to talk about anything in a discreet and non-school setting that I'm there. I suppose I'll determine once I am a real teacher if I actually have time for that.

2 comments:

  1. I want to comment on your statement that teaching is a lifestyle. I believe there are a number of jobs that follow this idea, being a doctor, business owner, teacher, and being in the armed forces. These are occupations don't require you to sit at a desk for 8 hours then go home, they require you to really dedicate yourself to doing a good job and incorporating the job into your life. As a teacher, you will see your students outside of school, maybe at the store or at the movies, so you have to realize that this occupation will follow you. This is one of the things that can either scare someone out of becoming a teacher, or attract people into it. I personally am excited because I feel like when you incorporate an occupation like this into your life, it starts to feel natural and not so much like a job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really agree with Dr. G that is so important to take the time BEFORE the school year starts to meet parents and students and introduce yourself. It is far too often that the first interaction an educator has with a parent is a negative one, a call home about misbehavior or some other issue. That is not the first impression, or experience, we should want to have with them. I know for me, I want an open, honest relationship and line of communication with the parents of my students. And why not? Parents are such an amazing source of educational support that can be utilized by teachers.

    ReplyDelete